Friday night we went to the football game, only to stay about 10 minutes. It was so muggy down there (in between cotton fields I might add), and we were both sweating by the time we reached the stands. There were a lot of people at the game, but not many that I actually knew. It was a little disappointed, although I found out later that most of my classmates met up at the street dance after the game. (Something that Brent Haywood was absolutely NOT going to). ha! Luckily, we got to spend most of Friday night visiting with Uncle Sluggo, Aunt Kay, Molly B, Ma, and Nannie. It was a real treat to be laughing like we used to - and Brent was in rare form too!
Saturday I had to go to a shower for Kristi Shirley in Crossett, so my mom and I loaded up and headed south. It's about an hour drive from there, so we had a good visit. I wanted to stop and get me some cotton to bring back, but I didn't ever get a chance. It is full harvest time in the Delta, and the sea of white is always so pretty to me.
Yes, this does say "Pre Depression Price Sale" So next time you come through Grady (south of Pine Bluff), stop here and get your very own pre-depression mattress. Yeah - cause that's what they sell. I tried to take a picture of the cotton field, but its kinda hard when you're driving
When we got home, I had plenty of time to relax and nap before heading to the fairgrounds for the big party. I was a little nervous about the whole thing, but I'm really glad we went. I got to visit with some old friends and do some catching up. I think there are a few people there that I wasn't very close with 10 years ago, but could be good friends with now. And vice versa. There was BBQ from a new place in town and of course a DJ. What reunion doesn't have music? Not that we got out on the floor and danced, but it was hilarious to watch the ones who did. About 10:30 Brent had had enough, so we made our exit. Yes, we were the first ones to leave and I'm perfectly fine with that. I realize that I am old and married now and you know what - I prefer to be in the bed by 10 p.m. at night! So I won't apologize for that.
All in all, it was a very good reunion, and I'm glad we went. It's good to reflect back and see how far you've come and how you've changed. I wouldn't go back to high school for a million zillion dollars, but I am thankful for the change that happened since then.
We had a total of 95 in our class, so this is about one third of them. Not a bad turn out.On Sunday, we went to church and heard more about how to Fireproof our marriage. Brent and I have joked that we are now sufficiently fire retardant. After lunch, I went down to Dermott to attend the funeral of my dear friend Smiley Garcia. This was a tough afternoon, but I know that he is with Jesus now. And so many people heard the true Gospel this weekend, so I am praying that those seeds planted will sprout soon. Continue to pray for Kathy - I cannot imagine going through that.
When I left McGehee that afternoon, I had one more event to attend. Lindsey, Terri and I were going to the final performance of Les Miserables at the Rep. We saw it together seven years ago in London, and I'm telling you the Arkansas performance was just as good as the London one. It was so dramatic and they had awesome voices! It was a good ending to a very busy and somewhat bittersweet weekend. If you ever have the opportunity to see it, you need to take it. It is a Must-See!
Love you girls! 


No comments:
Post a Comment