Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Weekend in McGehee

This past weekend, I headed south to see my family for the Easter weekend.  Because there are two weeks of school left, Brent stayed home to complete his mountain of homework that was due.  I hated to leave him behind, but he's worked so hard this semester, and he needs to finish strong.  We didn't do much but eat, visit, and play on our iPads, but it was just what I needed. 

On Saturday, Dad and Josh went to Dr. Young's house and to the deer camp, so Mom, Sarah and I went to Paul Michael's in Lake Village to do some shopping.  I got a few decorative things, but mostly did window shopping.  After we were done there, we drove a few miles towards the new Greenville bridge to check out the Lakeport Plantation.  This house is apparently the only remaining Arkansas antebellum plantation home on the Mississippi River.  It literally sits about 300 yards from the levee, and great work has been done to restore the property.  We didn't get to go inside because it's only open for tours Monday through Friday, but Sarah and I walked around and peeked in the windows. 

Friday and Saturday nights, the weather was perfect after dinner for yard games.  Josh and Sarah brought botchi ball and croquet with them, so we played both until the mosquitoes came out and ran us back inside.  There aren't many nights like this in the Delta, so you have to take advantage of them when possible. 

Dad looked funny playing croquet - the sticks weren't quite long enough. ha!
Sarah always thought her team should get the point.  (She's very competitive!)


On Sunday morning, we got up and went to First Baptist in McGehee to worship at their Easter service.  I am having a hard time right now finding cute things to wear, and I did not like my Easter "dress", but what could I do at 7 1\2 months pregnant.  Everybody tolerates my request for photographs, but hopefully one day they will appreciate the fact that I made everybody stand up together for these. 
Ma got to come to church and Easter lunch with us as well!  I am so thankful she is healthy and doing well at 81 years old - and that she will get to hold her 3rd great grandchild soon!


The fam pictures.  Not a bad one actually.

Even Josh cooperated (he hates getting his picture taken the most).  But he obliged and even smiled!
So after pictures and before lunch, we got to open our treats from the Easter bunny.  Yes, the Easter bunny is still very good to us, and we were all excited about our goodies. 
I got a new garden flag.
And a new Big Buddha purse!  I got one for Christmas last year and absolutely love it.  I even looked for a new one and couldn't find one that I loved as much as the other one, but the Easter Bunny did. 
After a fabulous lunch (smoked ribs, smoked prime rib, twice baked potato casserole, green beans, marinated mushrooms, Ma's rolls), we took a little field trip to the new Veterans Memorial off of Main Street in McGehee.  This is a brand new site, and they did a really great job.  Dad bought a brick in memory of Pa, and he wanted to take Ma by there to see it. 




I truly love going home and seeing the faces of the people who've know and loved me the longest.  There's also something about the Delta, and I really can't explain it to you unless you're from there.  They say you can't go home again, and that's true.  But when you do go, you appreciate it a whole lot more. 



No comments: