Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Best 36 Hours Ever

This past weekend, my parents were at the Ponderosa (what they're calling the Bryant house), and they wanted to keep Jackson for the entire weekend.  I think I was more excited than Brent, and we talked for a week about what we should do.  I wanted dinner and a movie, which I did get, but not exactly in the same way.  

On Friday after work, we went to Bryant to drop everything off and decided to go to dinner at Chili's.  Jackson did so good eating out, although the waiter forgot to put his order in.  He got plenty of food between all of us though.  

Jackson loves his Mimi.  

And of course he loves his Pops! 


We did lots of coloring while waiting on our food.  


Geez mom - why are you always taking my picture? 

After dinner, we went back to the house to hang out and Sar-Sar and Josh came over for a quick visit.  Jackson will talks about Sar-Sar frequently, but as soon as she walked in the door, he went stone-cold faced on her.  He would not smile or talk to her or anything.  It was so funny.  Here he is giving her the stink-eye.  

We decided to just swap cars with my parents, which meant we had access to a truck and trailer all weekend.  This is a very rare event, so we decided to take full advantage of it by doing yard work all weekend long.  I was a little excited honestly because the backyard flower bed was a little sad looking.  We got mulch, shrubs, and plants for the back and front beds and the mailbox bed.  

Here's the before - this side gets bad weeks in the spring and typically was where my garden was.  I have decided that I just don't have the time, energy, or money to tend to a garden this year.  


We went to Burnett's Landscape in Sherwood and loaded up.  This wasn't all ours because Jeff came with us to get some for himself, and he and Brent ended up helping each other all day.  


Between the before and after, there was a lot of sweat and shoveling that went on.  It was really muggy, but luckily the sun wasn't out for most of the time.  I worked really hard to get everything done in one day, and we just about made ourselves sick.  I think I'm just now recovering from a full six hours of yard work.  


Not much was done to the front except trimmed hedges and fresh mulch.  


I know in a few years, this will look really great.  Maybe even next year it will be really pretty.  I saved one little corner and planted a basil and rosemary plant there.  That's the extent of my garden.  It'll be farmers market for me this year! 



We finished shoveling the last of the mulch on Sunday morning, and then headed to Bryant to pick up The Boy.  I really did enjoy my free time, but I was ready to see him.  He looked confused when we got there, and he was so tired.  Unfortunately he fell asleep before we left, and when I tried to lay him down, he woke up.  That meant nap time was over and we headed back to Cabot.  

When we got to "Jacken house", I pulled out the pool and water house, and The Boy had a blast playing in the water. We've got to find a bigger pool though because this one just isn't cutting it this year.  Funny how things change in just one year.  Last year, he didn't want to have much to do with it and now he's going head first.  

When his hair gets went, it curls up which is really wild and cute.  

On Monday after work, I got outside to position my water hose so I could get them a good drink, and the next thing I know, this one down here is sticking his head in the spout.  He was pointing to the pool, but I wasn't up for that, so I just let him run through the flower bed and get soaking wet.  He's a boy and it's summer time in Arkansas - it's a tradition! 


I See You!  

Tuesday night, we had some free time, so I made bathtub paint and let him make a mess.  It's just cornstarch and shampoo with food coloring.  I'm sure it will stain if left on long enough, but for only 30 minutes, it was fine.  And he smelled good afterwards! 

No comments: