Monday, June 28, 2010

My First Vegetable Garden

When we had the veranda built, I also decided I wanted a flower bed/vegetable garden along the outside of the patio. In my mind, I wanted vegetables and flowers and shrubs, and after a few trips to Lowe's and Home Depot, I finally got it the way I wanted it.  One section was specifically for the vegetables, and I planted green bell peppers, squash, tomatoes, okra, cilantro, and basil.

Well, I was amazed in the beginning when I noticed every few days that all of the plants seemed to just take off. I really think they grew inches over night - it was really awesome to watch.  I thought to myself, there's nothing to this gardening. Maybe I do have some of the talent that the rest of my family possesses. Little did I know when I planted everything in early May that this summer would be one of the hottest summers on record. That means that my small garden is probably going to cost me $100 in extra water over the summer. All for a few batches of okra and some big tomato plants that aren't producing. ha!

So here's my garden has looked over the past month.



Baby okra


The squash didn't make it. It got really hot and I forgot to tell Brent to water while I was gone to McGehee for the weekend. I was really disappointed when I saw this cooked squash on the dead vine, but Mom assured me that Nannie's squash didn't make it either because of the extreme heat.  

I bought a soaker hose, but the jury is still out on how useful it really it.  It at least saves me some time - if I can now just remember to turn it off! 







Baby bell peppers



Medium-size bell pepper


Not-so-baby squash


My first okra bunch!  Gonna cook this tomorrow night for dinner. 


I found this beautiful butterfly in the garden this afternoon. So pretty! 


Here is my basil plant.  It has just blossomed, so if anybody likes to make pesto, please call me and I'll get you some. I like to get a few sprigs off at a time to make caprese salad.  


It's funny that the okra plants looked so puny when I planted them, and now they're the best things out there!  

When I get July's water bill, I will let you know if the garden will be continued.

No comments: