Friday, June 4, 2010

The Inn at Hunt Phelan

Last Thursday, Brent and I went to Memphis to see my baby sister graduate dental school. We left Little Rock late due to work issues, and when we got to West Memphis we got stuck in traffic so we weren't going to make dinner at the restaurant with the rest of the family. I was really aggravated about that, but we decided to go to the hotel and check in and then maybe meet up with the family later.

Josh found us discounted rooms at the Inn at Hunt Phelan. I had heard about this place and thought it looked pretty cook, so I was thrilled when we pulled up to this antebellum home. I love houses like this! And then when I read the history behind it, I was even more excited.  Here's the story:

The Hunt Phelan is one of the oldest and most historic homes in Memphis.  This antebellum home was built between 1828 and 1832, and was originally a relatively modest two-story home, built in the popular Federalist style architecture of the time.  It was built by George Wyatt and designed by Robert Mills, architect of the Washington monument, US Treasury building, and parts of the White House.  In 1830 it was purchased by Wyatt's cousin Colonel Elijah Driver, great great great grandfather of the current owner.  Driver expanded the house before his death in 1851, by adding the grand two-story Greek revival portico facing Beale Street.  After Drivers death, the home went to his daughter, Sarah Elizabeth, and her husband Colo. William Richardson Hunt, who resided at the home throughout its most colorful period during the Civil War and the yellow fever epidemics of 1870s.

The Hunt Phelan has the distinction of hosting several presidents, including Andrew Jackson, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, and Martin Van Buren. Confederate president Jefferson Davis (a close friend of the family and godfather to William Hunt Phelan) was a frequent guest in the home.

In the early months of the Civil War, the house served as headquarters for Confederate General Leonidas K. Polk. After the Battle of Shiloh, General Ulysses S. Grant occupied the house as his headquarters, where he planned the siege of Vicksburg from the library. Grant respected the home and insisted the Union soldiers remove their shoes when entering.  Because of this, the library still has the original floor from 1828.

A tunnel under the house, originally used as a shelter from the perceived threat of Indian attack, was later part of the Underground Railroad.  There was a schoolhouse located behind the mansion; it was the first school to educate African Americans in Memphis. During the yellow fever epidemic of 1878, the family left Memphis. They left the house in care of trusted servant Nathanial Wilson, said to be a ghost in the home.

Following the war, Colonel Hunt successfully petitioned the US government to have the home returned to him. The house was passed through successive generations until 1975 when Stephen Rice Phelan took possession following the death of his brother Admiral George Phelan.  Mr. Phelan willed the home to his great nephew Bill Day.  Bill immediately began restoring the house with the goal of turning it into a museum. Unfortunately, this was not a commercial success, and in 2000 the house and all of its artifacts were offered for public auction. In a last minute deal on the auction block, Mr. Day partnered with a local restaurateur, and the Hunt Phelan home was again renovated and reopened as a small hotel, restaurant, and special events venue.

The Inn at Hunt Phelan is once again used for its original purpose; to entertain, celebrate the pleasures of the table, and to welcome guests from all over the world.



It's just a short drive down Beale Street...on the quiet end. They were setting up for a wedding that weekend, so there were tents around the property.



This was our room - the original guest room. Apparently Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson both stayed in this room a very long time ago.


The ceiling was painted, and this light was very authentic, but we would have preferred a ceiling fan. It got very warm in our room early that morning. As it turns out, the thermostat for the room was in the room across the hall. I'm certain those people turned it up before they went to bed.

We didn't see any ghosts, but I was sure I would see something in these pictures. You know, like orbs or faces in the mirror. Only thing I did see was a goofy man in the corner making faces. He also said that the wallpaper reminded him of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Here's mom and dad's room. This was much more our style - I loved the green walls and dark furniture.
That afternoon when we got there, I walked in the foyer looking for someone to help us check in. When I couldn't find anyone, I walked to the bar area and that's where we met Park, the bartender.  He was so so SO nice and offered to help me, but when he couldn't figure out the coupons, he took us back to the bar and offered us drinks while we wanted on the Innkeeper.  Brent and I spent the next 90 minutes at the bar visiting with Park and the other waiters there.  Let me say this again - they were SO NICE!  There was only one other party there having dinner, so we decided to have some shrimp scampi and dessert as our meal. The other cool thing about this area is that they had 40s music playing and it really felt so Southern and old.

The downstairs of the house is very similar to Trapnall Hall, where my wedding reception was held.


I highly recommend this place, and we want to go back soon and stay in the slave quarters. Josh's mom and dad stayed in that room, and it was so swank. They had a huge bedroom, sitting room, and a huge new bathroom. It was at the back of the house and had its own staircase, which was for the servants so they didn't have to come to work through the front door.  This place is a tad pricey, but we had discount coupons which didn't make it so bad. Definitely worth the price for a weekend staycation in Memphis!

Up next...Sarah's Graduation

No comments: