Being the communications professional that I am, it always irks me when people misuse punctuation and capitalization. Now, I'm not the perfect speller, which is why I use spell check, but it doesn't reflect highly on your intelligence if you don't know when to capitalize or how to use a comma.
For example, I received this email the other day after contacting this company about a promo item for SPP's holiday party. I was so personally offended by the complete and utter disregard for any kind of grammar rules that I ultimately chose not to do business with them. See for yourself:
Hello Laura,Thanks for contacting Show Your Logo. I have worked with Your Company in the past as i mentioned in my Voice Message to you. Denise will be deferring to me on these orders, company polic. We'll have a Proof for the Tumbler coming out for you most likely tomorrow. I can also prepare one for the Hot Chocolate, which color Wrap would you like Silver or Gold?After reviewing the Estimate below Please contact me to discuss your Request.Thanks again, Ron
WHAT? I still can't believe that a business professional would send out an email like this. Especially someone in sales! My dear newswriting professor Dr. Downs would most certainly shake his head and question where this world is headed to with this type of communication. He certainly made my papers bleed during my tenure at OBU, but he is the reason I can edit as well as I can.
Hope you've enjoyed this funny example...have you seen anything like this lately?
2 comments:
Oh wow, that would really annoy me! I remember Dr. Downs from OBU, and you are right - he would have been very disappointed with Ron.
I don't blame you at all for not using them!! I am so appreciative of good grammar.
That is ridiculous!!!!
Post a Comment