Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Norris Family Reunion

This past weekend, Brent and I went to Wells Bayou and stayed with my grandmother Friday night and then went to the Norris Family Reunion Saturday morning in Dumas. It good to see some of my extended family that I haven't seen in a long time. Brent did good, although I think that if my Dad had been there, he would have enjoyed it more. Nothing like hearing a bunch of stories from Dad, Uncle Sluggo, and Uncle Ross!

Before we left for the reunion, I walked around Ma's house and took a few pictures. This is looking back towards the Bayou. Here's the shop. There are some really cool life-size pictures inside, and if I had remembered, I would have ventured inside to take a snapshot of them. And yes, there is a life-size picture of me when I was about 4 in Pa's office. Don't be confused about who was the first grandchild!
The grain bins.
Ma's house. Can you believe this house was build in 1927? I am amazed that my great-grandfather built this. Not sure if anybody else understands this, but I have strong ties to this rural area. It's where my great-great grandparents settled in the mid-1880's. This entire area has houses where relatives used to live. It's sad to think about how things have changed, but they have and there's nothing we can really do about it except think about it with fond memories. This place will always be special to me.
What I would give to have my own gas pump at my house. It's been a few years since it's worked though.

So this is what we did once Molly, Matt and Cade got there. Don't be confused at who the first GREAT grandchild is. He is spoiled very much when we're all around. I love the look on Ma's face. I hope he cherishes these pictures when he is older.
More Cade...He's holding his head up so well and is all smiles. We can't wait until he starts crawling!
People usually laugh when I say that my family tree forks but then meets back up. It's not exactly true, but close. Follow along with me here: my great-grandmother Martha and her sister Lula married brothers Ed (my ggp) and his brother Bob. So what does that get? Double-first cousins, then double-third cousins, then double-fifth cousins who all look alike. (I would be in the 3rd generation). Oh yeah - I forgot that Ed and Bob's niece Grace married Martha and Lula's brother Idell. WHAT!?!
This is Uncle Gene and Aunt Peggy's side...they were all in attendance!

Our immediate family, minus a few.
Another 5 generation snapshot.

2 comments:

Chris & Whitney said...

My family tree is the same way...brothers marrying sisters! Got to love rural Arkansas!

Terry Lewallen said...

love the pics from your walk around the house.....you got skills girl!