Sorry for the length of time between posts, but as you may know, last week was a tough one for me and my family. We learned last Sunday night that we lost my grandfather, which was much harder than I realized.
After celebrating President's Day, I worked on Tuesday and we left for McGehee after work. The visitation was Tuesday night, and there were well over 150 people there. There were several people from our Honduras mission team, my parent's friends, and neighbors of my grandparents there, and there probably would have been more if the Dumas Chamber of Commerce wasn't occuring at the same exact time. We had a slide show that turned out to be a very good thing. Everybody enjoying seeing the pictures of Pa throughout his life. On Wednesday, we headed to my grandmother's house to begin all of the funeral activities. Their church ladies (many were family members) were there to help feed the family, and boy did we get fed. I haven't see so much food in a long time, but it was a neat thing to see these old friends giving a shining example of a servant.
After lunch, it was time to drive over to the church for the funeral. Symrna Missionary Baptist Church has been established well over 125 years, and it's the church that my dad grew up in. It was packed with people there to honor my grandfather. The service was perfect, and Dad said that Pa would have been pleased with it. The Gospel was presented to glorify God, and stories were told on what a great man Pa was. We also sang a few hyms in Symrna style, which I couldn't help but cry to think about singing when I was a child. (Symrna style is most decidedly off key, and all joyful noise). After saying our goodbyes, we had a few minutes to visit with everyone outside. I'm so thankful that the weather was nice, and not cold or rainy. We then left for the graveside, which was about 10 minutes back to town. Because he was a World War II veteran, he was honored with the playing of Taps by an Air Force guard member.
When everything was finished, we headed back to the Bayou to finish visiting with relatives and friends. Brent and I decided to stay Wednesday night and go back to work on Thursday, which I'm glad we did. I didn't realize how worn out I was, and how emotional I still am over it. Please continue to keep my grandmother in your prayers. Even though this was something we had all prepared for, it's difficult actually living it. She is holding up remarkably well, and would tell you that it's God's grace getting her through.
So all of that to say that I've had a restful, relaxing weekend and I'm ready to start the last week of February. I have so many things to look forward to like the family cruise in March, and a trip to see Brent's family in May. We are also back on the South Beach diet this week (last week was not good for the diet). Thank you to everyone who has prayed for my family this past week. If you don't believe that God answers prayers, then just come talk to one of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment