Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Dear Jackson

My sweet little brown-eyed boy.  You are 16 months old! I keep thinking about how this time last year you were just starting to smile and coo and we saw a glimmer of your shining personality peeking through.  You are such a joy to your dad and I - I really don't know what we ever did without you!  Every night when we get home from work, we have "family hug time"and I love seeing the grin on your face.  And yes - we will make you do this when you are a teenager.

You love to laugh, and when I or your dad get to laughing at something else, you will chuckle right along.  Even if you don't get the joke.  I took you with me to vote, and while I was trying to check the boxes, you kept turning your head to look at me and was grinning the whole time.  As if to say "Hey mom - whatcha doing?"  It was pretty funny.

This past week, we've had sickness running rampant at the house, but it all seems to be clearing up.  It's amazing after one dose of antibiotics, you were back to shoveling in food and being happy.  I surely did miss my happy boy, but I did enjoy the extra snuggles.  It seems that you will catch a cold, and it will linger for a few days, then it will turn into an ear infection.  Praise God for modern medicine!  I know it's just apart of being in daycare, but I also know it's building up your little immune system and will be better in the long run.

You may wonder why you started "school" as early as you did.  It was a choice that your dad and I made for me to go back to work, and I loved being with you any moment I can, but the reality is that I have to help provide for our family.  Sure I could stay home and we could live very minimally, but we wouldn't be able to give you any fun experiences.  The second reason is that your Mimi and Pops paid good money for me to have an education and have encouraged me to have a career, and that is also something I want to have for myself.  Sometimes jobs don't always go the way we want them to, but that's when we pray to God to make the situation better or to make our attitudes better.  Right now I'm praying for both.  But what I do want you to know is that we are thankful to God for providing us with jobs that ultimately help you grow and can one day help you attend college.

And speaking of prayer, we are incorporating that into your daily life by praying at meals, and starting to pray at night time.  One big one is that for God to heal your Pops.  He's having to take chemo again right now to prevent more cancer from growing, and while it's very hard to watch him not feel well, we know that God is with him during this hard time.  It's just that life is hard and it sucks sometimes, but we aren't here forever and while we are here, we have to make the most of it.

Ok, enough of the sappy, serious talk.  You are starting to say more words these days, and sometimes it's crazy what you understand.  You absolutely love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and will dance when it comes on.  You also love to read books on your own, and the legos have also been a big hit lately.  You've also learned to say No and shake your head when you don't want to do something.  It's cute now, but I know it won't be for long.  For the most part, you are an easy-going kid, but there is a strong will streak in you.  Let's face it - you come from a long line of dominant personalities, and it's going to be tough to get it in check.  But we'll get there.  I think some of it's just being a toddler - like the whining and crying and latching on to my legs.  I know I will miss it one day, so I just drag you around the kitchen hooked to my leg.

We're officially taking you Trick-or-Treating on Halloween tomorrow and I'm excited to show you off to the neighbors.  We don't really believe in Halloween, but honestly it's not that big of a deal.  It's fun to dress up and be silly and eat candy with our friends.  But seriously - you are the cutest scarecrow ever!

Jackson Landon Haywood - I pray that you will continue to grow and learn, and that you understand how much we truly love you.  You're the best thing that's ever happened to us!

Love,
Mommy and Daddy

No comments: