Saturday, December 5, 2009

Tis the Season

It's that time of year, and I am loving it! I've been singing Mele Kalikimaka for the past few days (much to Brent's dismay), and I am already counting down the days until we leave for Phoenix to have Christmas with Caitlin. Because of that trip and the previous one to Branson, I decided not to put up the actual Christmas tree. Gasp! But before you start calling me Mrs. Scrooge, please know that I dragged out various other Christmas decorations. I couldn't not do something! Another reason that the tree didn't go up was that with the addition of the new furniture (i.e. recliner, piano), I really don't have anywhere to put the tree without having to move some piece of furniture. (And you know Brent isn't going to get out of his recliner!) ha!

I have vivid memories of what decorations my grandparents put up at Christmas. Included with the short Christmas tree with the blue star angel and red lighted bells in the windows, Ma and Pa had a nativity scene made out of olive wood from their trip to Israel in 1984. They brought my parents one, so I also remember my mom getting hers out every year too. Fast forward 25 years, and I am so excited to have my very own nativity scene from Israel! My parents bought one for my sister and I when they were there this past March.




Since I don't have a fireplace, I use the top of my piano as a mantle, and this was what I came up with this year. I love that mesh stuff, and would probably string it up everywhere if I could.

The focal point of our living room isn't a fireplace. Can you guess what it is?


This is what I'm calling our Christmas tree this year. I got this a few years ago at a Christmas wedding shower I had, and I love it.


More Christmas decor...



I had some leftover mesh, so I tied it on my wreath and made a bow. It's all sparkly and shiney.


Here's my little garden flag. I love that everything is lime green and red this year. It's really cheery.



Here's the front of the house. It's hardly Clark Griswold's house, but I like it. My mom used to do the candles in the windows, and for me they're easy and quick to put up. I bought my little trees that go out front a few years ago, and surprise  - this year, covered them with mesh.



All of these pictures were taken with my present from Santa Clause. I've been needing a new camera lately, and found a good deal on a Nikon P90 last weekend in Branson. It's not an SLR, but it has a lot of functionality that I've missed having with a point-and-shoot. Now if I can just learn what buttons do what and how, then I'll be doing good.

Hope your decorations are going up and you're enjoying this Christmas season!

1 comment:

Guy and Julie said...

If it makes you feel any better--I made Guy move a bookshelf AND the piano so I could put up my tree this year. We got a new TV and a recliner this year, which totally changed up where I could put the tree. He was NOT thrilled!!!! All your traveling will be fun.