Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Marjorie Lou Gardner

Last week was so crazy busy that I am still recovering. The Arizona family came in for Grannie's funeral. We were all sad about the Lord calling her home, but we rejoice because she is in no more pain and is with her husband John. She would have been 88 in July, and this picture is from our wedding last December.

During the visitation and funeral, I got to see a glimpse of the family I married into. I already knew some of them a little, but they all gathered together to honor the matriarch of the family and I realized how much alike our two families are. She was a mess back in the day and I only wish I had known her before she had gotten older. Some of the stories that were told cracked me up. When Margie used to answer the phone, she would say "Alright", as if to say "Alright I'm here, what do you want." She also was very dedicated to working with the Methodist Youth in Marianna, drove a school bus for years, and did the books for the local pharmacy. Apparently there was nothing she couldn't do! (She is in fact responsible for my outside storage room off the carport, the small concrete pad with the basketball post, and the curio case with the toy cars on display in my office).

She was buried in the Marianna cemetery, which also is the place where my great-great grandmother is buried. (My dad's, dad's, dad's mother). About 25 years ago, we were coming back from Nashville, TN, when we took a detour to Marianna to see if we could find the grave. Ma, Pa, Mom, Dad, me and Sarah all looked for that grave, and we were about to give up, when Sarah found it. (She was about 4 at the time I think). So Lina Terry Norris and Marjorie Lou Oxner Gardner are at rest together - how strange is it that our two families are linked at that spot.


I am truly blessed to have married into the Gardner/Oxner family. They are God-loving and love each other. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

No comments: