Friday, August 22, 2008

What a week...

I don't really even know what to stay about all of the stuff that has happened with my dad since last Thursday, but I believe that the prayers of so many people have helped me keep it together. Dad was officially diagnosed with cancer on Wednesday, and I have been trying not to let my mind get away from me and thing about all of the worst possible scenarios. From the outcome of the surgery and lab results, it is in the early stages and was caught just in time. I am so very thankful that he was not stubborn about feeling bad and had everything checked out.

It's very hard when the realization hits you that your parents won't always be around. You never think things like this will happen to you either, but I know there is a reason that we're going through this. I know I'm supposed to learn something, and I've been really search and praying to figure it out. Maybe it's to be more empathetic to people going through hard times. Who knows. But I do know that God has a plan, and things happen for a reason. One thing that was reaffirmed to me this past week was that I have amazing Christian parents who have raised my sister and I to love God and to live in faith. My mom said that we are now going to have to walk in the faith that they have spent their lives telling us about. What a great example I have.

I am also thankful for the many friends who have called to check on dad and the rest of the family during this time. It's very overwhelming to see how many people hold my dad in such high esteem. All of the Honduras teams have been praying for him and loving on us, and they are all so special to us. Notice I said "all Honduras teams." For many years now, my dad has had the vision to create more than one medical mission team to reach the people in Honduras. In 2009 this vision will become a reality when three teams travel to Honduras. Even more people will be reached by these three new churches stepping up and committing to go to the mission field. (I'm going with Conway's Woodland Heights Baptist Church group in February).

So here's the next step (and what to pray for now). Hopefully they will get to go home today and spend the rest of the weekend recuperating. They will talk with the doctors and choose an oncologist, and then with the doctors help, will map out a plan to eradicate the cancer. We've heard that some cancer treatment (chemo) comes in the form of a pill and some people don't loose their hair or feel sick. This would be awesome! Also pray for my parents as they are going to have to readjust their lives. Dad is not one to sit still, and had been working at both the hospitals in Dumas and McGehee. Pray that he will learn to relax and not want to be busy all the time.

I have a sticky note on my computer that says "Detours are the invisible work of God." I put that up there when we heard about the Alltel merger, and I was learning that our lives will probably change at the end of the year. But now this phrase takes on a whole new meaning. I think God may be trying to tell me that I can plan all I want - He's got other ideas.

Thanks for your continued prayers and love to my family. They mean the world to me. You can visit http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ronnienorris to read updates on Dad's progress and send him an online message.

3 comments:

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

girl-i have been checking for updates often this week. i am sorry to hear this news and will be thinking/praying for your family.

Katy Hill said...

Just wanted you to know we are praying for your dad and your family.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I will definitely be praying for him. Keep me posted. If there's anything I can do, please let me know.