Last night was the last night of my Technical Communications class at Pulaski Technical College. I must say that this has been the most challenging thing that I have ever done. When I started in January, I was so nervous about "teaching", and I know my students probably thought "this girl does not know what she's doing." This class is a requirement by the Department of Higher Education to students in technical programs. My students are either getting a technical certificate in auto collision/repair/detailing, air conditioner repair, or mechanical work, and the hardest thing was getting my brain wrapped around their perspective. Just showing up and participating is half of the battle, and I finally had to tell them that if they would do those two things, they would be OK in the class.
The course work was somewhat defined, but I had to do most of the planning or lesson plans. I definitely did get easier as the semester went on, and I have some ideas on how to change it up to make it better. We covered things like basic communication, working in groups, business plans, resumes, and cover letters, which makes it more like a Workplace Communications rather than Technical Communications. But it's all good information for everybody to know!
Well, last night was the final test, and everybody passed with flying colors. They even said it was too easy. (This coming from the ones who flunked the first test). But the best part was having them say to me, "I really did enjoy this class. You did good and we hope to see you around campus next semester." Wow - I guess this is why teachers make it through the school year. There was a point where I did want to quit and wasn't going to ever come back, but I continued on and it did get better.
I want to say that my favorite guys were the 3M employees. These five guys were great students - they did their assignments and studied for the tests and participated in class. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them, and even found out that there was a family connection between me and one of the guys. (He's a step-father to a cousin's husband). Small world! But I must ask that you remember one in prayer. Sam Hicks is so sweet and tender hearted, and had a 22-year old handicapped son that passed away last week. He tried to come last night to take the test, but couldn't make it through it. I can't imagine what's that like, but I am praying for him and his family.
So after thinking back over the past semester, it was the most challenging thing that I have probably ever done, but I got through it and will do it again in the fall. All the teachers that I know have said that the second time around won't be as hard. I will modify some of the material and do some research on education practices, but not after a little break. My project for the summer will be to finish my Masters research project. I'm very close to getting finished, but have to complete the research.
No comments:
Post a Comment