Thursday, July 18, 2013

TWO Years Old

Be still my heart.  I can't hardly take it that my baby is two years old.  This is seriously harder on me than the one year mark was, and maybe it's because that baby phase is slowly slipping away.  I mean, I knew it would happen, and after 6 months old (when he started sleeping through the night), it really did go by fast.  Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love this stage that he's in right now.  He's lovable and sweet and funny. And talking so that we can understand most of what he says.  He keeps us laughing that's for sure!

Official Stats:
35 inches (the doctor measured 34 1/4, but at home I got 35, so that's what we're going with), and you weigh 24.5 pounds.  That's 10-25% percentile, but you've been in that consistently, so Dr. Wilson isn't worried about it.  You are exactly how I was when I was your age, just taller.

Eating
Jackson, you are still a picky eater, but I suspect that's because I've not done a good job of making you try new things.  I'll be honest - I'm tired when I get home in the afternoons, so if you want a hot dog and some fruit, then that's fine with me.  I just decided a while ago to not stress about it right now because I can't make you eat anything you don't want to...right now.  We'll have that argument later probably. I do have some tricks up my sleeve that Dr. Wilson suggested, so we'll be cracking down this week on snacks and juice.

Your favorite foods are hot dogs, chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, Pop Tarts, cereal bars, graham crackers, and just about any fruit.  You also like yogurt, green beans, applesauce, and fish sticks.

Sleeping
I've noticed that after the time changed and the days got longer, that it's harder for us to get you in bed by 8:30.  I guess the light outside is deceiving us, but it won't be long now before the days start getting shorter.  As far as naps go, you're good at taking them at school, but I have to put you in a headlock to take one at home.  We try to get one in anywhere from 12 -2, but of course those can vary depending on what we're doing.  The other day I let you sleep on my bed and you did good and didn't fall off. I'll consider that a win.

Behavior
We have definitely entered the terrible 2's, but it only emerges when he's sleep and/or hungry.  We also have a battle of wills every now and again, and usually I win.  But it's hard to keep from laughing when he gives me the evil eye.  However, I do not tolerate hitting me, and that usually gets him a good spanking and a few minutes in the corner.  I think they use "get in the corner" as punishment at school, because often times when he's acting up, I will tell him to go stand in the corner and he will do it.  Other times I have to put him there, but typically he will stay until I let him turn around.  Afterwards, he has to tell me he's sorry, and usually we get a very sweet sounding "Sorwy Mama".  That is what it's all about folks - asking for forgiveness and moving on.

Language
I can't even keep up with all of the words he knows, but he is like a little recorder these days.  Here lately, he's started saying a very clear "yes", although I am working diligently on "yes ma'am and no ma'am".  He'll get there eventually.  He's saying two and three sentences, and there's very little that's not understandable. Most nights before bath, I yell "naked baby" and he's started saying that as he runs though the house without anything on.  It's hilarious!

This morning, he was looking at my necklace while I was getting him dressed, and he said "Circle mama".  Yes, that's right baby, my necklace has a circle in it.



Skills
He is following commands very well and for the most part does what we ask him to do. We've also introduced potty training, but we have not gotten hard core with it yet.  I just can't bring myself to do it, but I know I have to.  If he's dry when I get him out of the crib, we'll go potty, and then again before bath time.  We have not mastered him telling us when he has to go, and he has started telling us when he's gone poop.  (He literally says "I poop."

He loves his bouncy house and can jump really well on that

Favorite Characters"Monkey George"; "Nighting Cars", Thomas the Train, and his most favorite is  Buzz and Woody.

Daily Schedule
6:30 - Wake him up, if not already away
7:00 - Eat a to-go breakfast and leave for school
12 -2 - Naptime
2:30 - Snack
5:15 - Go home!
6:00 - get mail with daddy, then play until dinner's ready
6:30 - eat dinner (usually mommy and daddy eat after you)
7:00 - play time/Facetime with Mimi and Pops
7:30 - Bath time (shake it off, naked baby, sing songs)
8:00 - get ready for bed; brush teeth; watch a little bit of TV and read a book
8:30 - bed time





No comments: