Monday, September 13, 2010

Evolution of the Garden

I wanted to give a final update on the outcome of my very first garden.  It was an interesting adventure to say the least, and I will probably do it again next year, just on a smaller scale.  First of all, my 8 tomato plants did not produce one single, solitary, stinking tomato.  Experts say that it was because it was too hot, but whatever.  I will try and do them again next year, but maybe just a few plants.  THe Squash burned up in the first few weeks of planning, and the bell peppers did OK, but I wasn't impressed.  Okra, on the other hand, did fabulous.  I couldn't pick them fast enough, and by the end of the season, I was really sick of okra. 

6-10-10


7-21-10



8-17-10

9-4-10
Seriously - these okra plants were as tall as I am. 


The biggest okra plants you've ever seen!  I literally had to take a hack saw to them so they would fit in four garbage bags. 



These sun plants got out of control, and were a haven for bees and wasps, so I was kinda glad to see them go. 


This is what it looks like now.  Clean and bare - with the exception of one wild mushroom in the middle.  I did leave my basil plant up because I'm still enjoying the leaves every now and then.  But it's days are numbered. 


When I pulled up the sun plants, I put down a few plants of monkey grass and a couple of mums.  It looks much cleaner, and I really like the green color better than the other plants. 


Here's my cute new flag I bought on sale.  I've got a garden flag in the front of the house, and you can still see this one from the driveway.  

Stay tuned for fall decorations and fun events we've been doing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Love my sewing machine! It was a cheap one, only $50 at Target but for no more than what I will use it for, it's perfect. It was really easy to set up and start using. I'm too excited to get some projects completed with it! :)