Back in the spring, we enjoyed TV shows such as Flash Forward (couldn't finish it, but Brent did), Project Runway, Modern Family, Cougartown, and Big Bang Theory. But one afternoon I turned on Bravo, and got sucked back into the world of the Real Housewives. Now, I must give you a little back story on my love of Bravo. I had this channel when I lived in Little Rock, but when I moved to Cabot, I quickly realized that Suddenlink didn't carry the channel. WHAT? How in the world was I going to make it without Bravo? Surprisingly, I did make it - somehow. But about six months ago, we switched from cable to Direct TV, and it had Bravo in the line-up. We love the dish - it is very reliable, has plenty of channels, and is about the same price we were paying for regular cable. Plus, there's a DVR, which has totally changed my outlook on watching TV. I had resisted the DVR as long as possible, but it really is a lovely modern amenity to TV.
But I digress.... The Real Housewives of New York City was showing episodes from the first season, and since I had only seen the Orange County show, I was interested in seeing how these New Yorkers interacted. I really did love this one - they were my favorite (until New Jersey came around), and there was plenty of drama.
You've got Ramona, Jill, Countess Luann, Bethenny, and Alex. They have more money than they know what to do with, but the most interesting thing to me has been the differences in cultures. I swear if I was still in grad school, I would have written a paper about this. First of all, these women are all about the fashion and going to parties, and very rarely to you see them stay at home (unless they're going to the Hamptons). Of course this is mostly due to editing, but you only see the dramatic snippets of the life. One thing that has struck me funny is the fact that if someone does something to wrong another housewife, at the next event, she will tell the other party that her feelings were hurt and why. It is my personal opinion that women in the South would NEVER do that. Oh no. Now, we will talk behind their back and ask everyone why we weren't invited, but to their face, a Southern lady would just smile and be polite. This obviously isn't the Christian thing to do, but hey - I'm being honest. We Southern girls can hold grudges, but these NYC women seem to get it off their chest and move on. So Kudos to them!
So after the drama with NYC was over, it was time to move west a little and catch up on the women of the New Jersey franchises.
I think these women were my favorite because they're more relateable, even though they have way more money than I do. Most of them have young families and they're often seen taking care of them. With the exception of Danielle, I would want to be friends with all of them. Now, Dirty D is a big ole freak, and I really do wish they would kick her off the show. The previous episode showed the altercation between her and Teresa, and she said "Teresa attacked her." LOL! When you see the episode, you see Danielle run away like a child. Seriously - if you're in the right, why not man up and stand your ground. Makes you wonder if she really is hiding something (I think she is a big ole vat of crazy).
I think with any of the Real Housewives, one thing that you have to remember is that money can't buy happiness and it won't get you into heave, so we have to keep it all in perspective. This is just for entertainment, but I think sometimes we forget that. We take TV for it's face value, and we should definitely not do that. My least favorite housewives are in Atlanta, because let's face it - they are G-H-E-T-T-O and do not represent Southern women at all.
So my newest favorite Bravo show is a spin-off of the Real Housewives of NYC. Bethenny Frankel is know for her comedic one-liners on the show, and was always so funny. In the RHNYC show, she was always defending herself from "attacks", but on her new show "Bethenny Getting Married", she seems to be very normal. Now, getting married at 7 months didn't seem to shame her in the least, but that would not have worked where I'm from. I am going to chalk that up to another cultural difference. Bethenny and her now-husband Jason genuinely seem very happy together, and they're hilarious together. Good for them and best of luck with the new baby. She also seems very relaxed and more funny in this show than the other one. Maybe it's because it's on her terms, and not has to rely on the other crazies.
Some of our other favorites right now are:
Memphis Beat
Which I just found out was filmed in New Orleans, which I think is sad. Apparently Louisiana offers better tax breaks for filming than Memphis does, and film crews go where it's cheaper. That being said, it is a pretty good show to look forward to watching. Can't say it's the best ever, but it's getting better. Plus, I do like to have some Memphis pride since my sis lives there.
Police Women of Memphis
And speaking of Memphis - this show really is shot in Memphis. These women can kick some serious butt and take names! They try to keep a dangerous city safe, and there are some interesting characters that you get to see as well.
Hot in Cleveland
This show is pretty funny and is much like a sitcom was back in the day. And when I say back in the day, I mean 10 years ago. Betty White is hilarious, but the show is a tad predictable.
True Blood
I read the first Sookie Stackhouse book, and then wanted to watch the first season on DVD. Brent didn't really want to, but he got "sucked" in. (pun intended). We watched season 1 and 2 back to back, and we love it. It's not for those who are easily offended, so viewer beware. But seriously - Eric is my new celebrity crush (he's the one in the middle). I like the Twilight series, but True Blood is SO much better. It's much less cheesy and more dark. Plus, the writer is from Magnolia, and it's good to support our local people!
Tomorrow I'll try to post a garden update....let's just say things are looking kinda sad out there.







1 comment:
I love, love, love Real Housewives of NJ and NY! I can't wait to see how the DC crew turns out! I love the OC crew too - but can not stand the Atlanta gang! OMG, those ladies are ghetto!
I love Bethenny Getting Married, too! I follower her on Twitter and she is hilarious!
Post a Comment